I’m in love with everything about this soup, adapted from the recipe in my Arab World Fest Cookbook from the restaurant Aladdin.
Red Lentil Soup
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 7.5 cups water
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 medium carrots, diced
- 1 heaping tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste (I used about 2 tsp)
- cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
Place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are quite soft (20-30 minutes). Puree with the immersion blender, or allow the soup to cool and then puree in the blender. Serve with a warm, toasty pita.
Why this soup is perfect in every way:
1. This recipe makes a huge batch.
2. It probably freezes well.
3. It is really healthy. It’s vegan, gluten free, fat free, and full of protein and fiber.
4. The ingredients are CHEAP, so it’s no problem to make it with organic lentils and veggies!
5. Most importantly, it is absolutely delicious.