San Diego, Day 2

I was starving when I woke up (what’s new?), so we found a grocery store first thing in the morning.

Apples, bananas, and a big bowl of melon.

Plus a couple of bagels.

Then, we were off to UCSD. Greg had a meeting, and I came along to explore since we’re going to be living in that area.

UCSD, right outside the music building.

While Greg was dealing with school business, I took a walk to check out the local Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.

First, a smoothie at Whole Foods. The Milwaukee location definitely does not have smoothies.

This one was blueberry, banana, and vanilla soy milk.

It was ridiculously hard not to buy anything. There were SO many things that the Milwaukee location does not (holy greens and sprouts), and I am looking forward to picking up some more exotic ingredients there!

I did buy one ridiculously expensive piece of chocolate.

This one ounce piece? $3. Yeah. I haven’t tasted it yet, but I don’t see myself buying it ever again, no matter how good it is.

Then I was off to Trader Joe’s, where they also had a bunch of stuff that we don’t have in Milwaukee. I picked up a few treats, but again, it was a total bummer not to have a kitchen to go home to. Soon!

Vegan trail mix cookies. These were awesome, and really a lot more like granola bars both in nutrition profile and flavor.

Vino. Greg informed me that we have actually had this before. I thought it was a new one. It was quite good though.

And more chocolate. That tiny one was actually from Whole Foods.

When Greg was finished with his meeting, we headed back downtown (where our hotel is located).

We were both ready for some food, so we stopped at a Thai restaurant called Mint that we’d seen the night before.

We ordered fresh spring rolls with peanut sauce as an appetizer.

I liked the actual rolls better than Ee Sane (they were prettier and easier to eat), but Ee Sane still wins for peanut sauce.

I ordered a vegetable stir fry (I was CRAVING vegetables) with tofu and brown rice. It totally hit the spot.

Greg had the drunken noodles.

It was only late afternoon when we returned to our hotel, so we decided to take a walk up to Balboa Park and have a look around.

I know that thing in the upper left corner just looks like a brown blob, but it’s really a humming bird 🙂

We didn’t stick around long at the park because it was about a 4 mile walk round trip from our hotel. We’d already had a day full of walking, and we were ready to take it easy. We went back to our hotel to put our feet up and watch the office, and I’m pretty sure I was sound asleep before 9:30.


About alimental

I am a recent college grad who loves preparing and eating good, healthy food. I live in Milwaukee with my husband and our two cats.
This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to San Diego, Day 2

  1. stephanie Voss says:

    Wow! This looks so wonderful! I’m ready to move.
    So excited for you both! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Love you both, mom xoxo

  2. Emily says:

    So, so beautiful. I’m coming to visit you asap.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s